Skip to main content

HERITAGE

North Beach 21st Oct 2021

Way back in January storms revealed some of the buried remains of the Eleni V disaster.

East Suffolk Council have commissioned specialists to properly investigate how much oil remains and and to provide evidence for next steps.

Councillor James Mallinder, cabinet member for the Environment added: “Any excavations at the site may affect the rate of coastal erosion, and the surrounding environment, and so any decision about removing the deposits will be carefully considered.”

Added: 23 September, 2023
Santon map

Christopher Saxton map showed Easton Ness as the most easterly point of Great Britain. Over the next decades, the action of the sea caused the salient to migrate north, to Lowestoft Ness.

Added: 23 September, 2023

1735 Low Light moved because of changes to Stan(d)ford Channel

Added: 23 September, 2023
Added: 23 September, 2023

1706 the remaining Low Light ceased operation, possibly because "...the sea overwhelmed it..." (p97 Lights of East Anglia by Neville Long, 1983)

Added: 23 September, 2023
Lowestoft High Light 1812 drawing

1676 Samuel Pepys was elected a Master of the Trinity Brethren, and immediately sanctioned a new Lowestoft lighthouse. A  new Lighthouse tower was constructed, built of brick, this time on the cliffs. This became known as Lowestoft High Light. Trinity in its earlier records sometimes refers to the northernmost of the two Ness Point foreshore lights as the 'upper' light, which can be confusing.(drawing p93).

Added: 23 September, 2023

1670's The Lowestoft Lights were re-built again. A few years previously John Clayton had erected a coal-light a couple of miles north at Corton. Clayton's efforts to build lighthouses at various locations around the coast were seen by Trinity Brethren as being a threat to their monopoly.

Added: 23 September, 2023
Added: 23 September, 2023

1778 A 'spangle light' was tested for one night on Lowestoft Low Light by several Trinity Elders sailing out to sea. The design was never permanently used. A many-signed letter said the new light was 'constant, certain and regular', and seen from a greater distance than the coalfired light. In February 1779 a 'small reflector was ordered to be fixed to a triangle or beacon'. In September 1779 '...a Mr Smith was paid £6.5.o for a plated reflector, lamp and fountain'. Added: 23 September, 2023